This page lists positions for which SecondMuse is currently hiring. We are always looking to engage with motivated, talented individuals, regardless of which positions we currently have open.
SecondMuse collaborates with organizations to bring new thinking and solutions to complex issues facing humanity. We use a network-centered innovation approach to understand, identify, develop and propel key innovations to unlock transformational change.
We believe that the key to human prosperity is the coming together of diverse thinking and coordinated action to solve the really tough challenges. We create and facilitate this process. Our team builds capacity in people to think about challenges in a different way and create alternative solutions. We help facilitate this ongoing process using the principles of design thinking, curated collaboration, and open innovation, creating opportunities for change across organizations and industries.
We are fast-paced virtual company, with a team of around 20 employees based in North America and Australia. We are also a certified B Corp. Over the past eight years, we have engaged 150,000 participants, prototyping more than 30,000 solutions including both hardware and software. We have screened more than 13,000 entrepreneurs and accelerated over 100 high-impact companies. These companies have raised over 100 million dollars and created a market value of over half a billion dollars.
Our work has been highlighted by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and has won numerous awards. You can read more about us in our Summer 2016 Issuu magazine.
It is a core belief at SecondMuse that diversity is necessary for strong networks to be built and sustained, and we seek to reflect that diversity on our team as well. We are an equal opportunity employer actively seeking diversity in service to our mission of understanding and solving humanity’s toughest challenges.
SecondMuse is a certified B Corporation.
Portland, Oregon, starting February 2017
SecondMuse is working on a program to catalyze job creation through the transformation of higher education and looking for a highly motivated Associate with a passion for innovation, higher education, entrepreneurship and technology and a desire to make a difference to support the project. This is a 10 month, full-time position, with the potential to extend or expand into a longer-term role.
- Work with SecondMuse team and partners to understand program objectives and translate them into workable project plans, including project timelines and deliverables;
- Conduct desk research and interviews to understand the system, identify opportunities and secure partner participation in programs;
- Work with the SecondMuse communications team to manage social media and other project communications;
- Plan logistics and host focused meetings, bringing diverse groups to create collective understanding and plans for action;
- Prepare for and facilitate internal and external meetings;
- Contribute to the design of prototype and pilot programs;
- Write high quality externally and internally facing reports, briefing documents, presentations and project collateral;
- Manage and maintain SecondMuse CRM system for relevant projects and contacts.
Key Skills and Capacities
- Happy to work in a very diverse environment that moves quickly;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for interaction with clients, partners and colleagues;
- Ability to build and convene community;
- Awareness of and respect for cultural nuances;
- Ability to understand markets and conduct primary and secondary research;
- A talent for clear, concise writing;
- Strong organizational skills with an attention to detail;
- Disciplined in working independently and remotely;
- Strong team player, able to work with colleagues in virtual environments;
- Ability to travel regularly, both domestically and internationally;
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization within a collaborative environment.
Note: The program will require several trips to Vietnam, for weeks at a time. Familiarity with Vietnamese culture and higher education systems and verbal fluency in Vietnamese are not required but of value.
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience that includes a proven track record of research, writing and coordinating high-level meetings;
- Experience in working with social entrepreneurs, investors, governments, NGOs and/or private sector companies in the aquaculture sector or in the Indian Ocean region;
- Strong experience in the application of systems or design thinking;
- Familiarity/experience with open innovation programming such as challenges or hackathons, acceleration and community organising;
- Experience designing and executing world-class community experiences that delight participants;
- Strong facilitation experience.
Send resume and one-page cover letter in pdf format addressing:
- What interests you about SecondMuse?
- How do you envision making an impact in the world?
- What do you bring to a team?
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: SecondMuse Associate. Only finalist candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.